MTGO Issues

Greetings and Welcome to the Magic Online Bug Page.

For Reimbursements

If you need to file for reimbursement because your issue impacted a Magic Online event, please fill out our Request Reimbursement  form instead.

Before You Create a New Report

Before you create a new report, please enter the issue in the Issue Title field below to see if your issue has already been reported. It is a good idea to limit this to a few key words, like a card name or specific feature.

Example:  Shivan Dragon (Note: Partial words won’t bring up results, so use Shivan instead of Shiv)

If your issue has been reported already, click the vote button so that we know you've experienced that bug as well. You can also leave a comment if you'd like to add to the conversation about that bug or provide additional information you think might be useful. 

For New Reports

If your bug has NOT been reported, then please update the Issue Title field to represent the problem you encountered.

Example:  Shivan Dragon’s ability doesn’t work

Choose the Category that matches where the problem was.

Use the Describe Your Idea field to describe what happened.  Please use the following format:
  1. Summary of the problem
  2. A list of steps that led to the problem 
  3. The actual result
  4. What you expected or should have happened
Example:  

Shivan Dragon’s firebreathing doesn’t work.  Steps are:

1. Attack with Shivan Dragon. 
  2. After it is blocked, try to pay 1 R mana to give it +1/+0
  3. Actual: It doesn’t get +1/+0 and stays a 5/5
  4. Expected: It becomes a 6/5
Finally, upload any screenshots or other information you might have that will help us investigate.  If you receive an error message that your attachment did not upload, please check to make sure it is smaller than 50 MB.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Critical error on startup

Steps Performed:
    - Client restart
    - Clean uninstall reinstall

First clean uninstall/reinstall resolved issue. Error message appeared again on second launch of client

Error message received:
    Error reading XML card data. This usually means that you have a corrupted install folder or registry. Please uninstall MTGO from the add/remove programs menu, and then reinstall the application from the MTGO website.

37 votes
    Sign in Sign in with Wizards of the Coast
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Log In and Connection Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Game stuck on the loading screen

just spinning. forever. I tried a fresh installation. I tried with a VPN connected to NY and that worked.

39 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Log In and Connection Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. lag

I've been playing vintage cube last week and I've been met with an annoying problem. Sometimes when I pass priority or want to click OK, the client lags but my timer goes down. This usually takes 20-30 seconds before going on. It happens several times in a match which can cost me up to 4-5 minutes of my clock.

36 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Log In and Connection Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Magic Online "Out of Date" Error Message in Client

MTGO won't allow sign on saying "out of date version. please close client and restart to downloaded latest version" which is followed and no new version has been downloaded. I've attempted uninstalling and re-installing and still run into the same error while attempting to sign in. I've tried rebooting the computer and the same issue happens.

18 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Receiving "maintenance" message when servers are up

I'm unable to log in to MTGO, I'm receiving a message that says MTGO is down for scheduled maintenance or is otherwise unavailable and I'm unable to log in to the client. I've checked the server status page and can see that the server is live.
    So far I've tried updating the client, uninstalling and reinstalling the client but I'm still encountering the same issue.

14 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 8 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. "Application cannot be started" error whenever I download an update

Whenever I open the exe, and there is an update, after install, it can never open MTGO. I have to uninstall all of MTGO and reinstall. Please fix this! It has been going on for at least a year. Look at attached error file.

5 votes
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Game crashing after connecting

So when I start MTGO, I get the normal "computer is communicating with server" then after it presumably connects, it immediately crashes after yesterday's update. The start-up sound is not heard. This is both and after I uninstalled then reinstalled MTGO.

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Log In and Connection Issues  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. game crashes everytime i try to reconnect after i lose connection,and then reconect. causeing me to time out multiply time

anytime I lose connection while in a match and then reconnect the game become unresponsive and crashes and logs me out, this has cause me to lose multiply game

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. cierre de el sistema

el programa se reinicia, se cierra en plena partida

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. cannot download client after an update

performed every suggestion at this article: https://mtgo-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037665192

Error:
    + Downloading http://mtgoclientdepot.onlinegaming.wizards.com/3.4.114.4042.20200428090330/Audio/General/UIZOOMIN.wav did not succeed.
    + The operation has timed out.

Operating System: Windows 10

Troubleshooting Steps Performed
    - Uninstall/reinstall
    - Reset Winsock

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I can't create an account

I can't create an account! Please help me!

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. continuously wasting time organizing cards in deckbuilder just to have them all piled back together wasting the hours I just spent, twice

This is pretty frustrating considering how old magic online is. The UI is super laggy and makes using it take way longer than it should. I have a core I7 a gtx 1070 and 16gb ram....... why is just building a deck so laggy? It's not user friendly and hasn't seemed to be updated in years, looks just like it did the last time I had it installed. Then the main problem, on top of taking forever to organize cards due to the extremely slow UI. Took a rough 1st draft with lots of cards........separated into definite keepers and the…

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. High CPU usage

After the release of Ikoria the CPU usage is constantly on a 100% , making the game unplayable. It was totally fine with a smooth experience before Ikoria. I have two drafts I can not even complete. I can not play the game at this time

1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base