Make Historic Pauper More Like Pauper
I understand that Historic Pauper will always differ from Pauper due to lack of support on Arena for older commons. However, I think it would be a better experience if it were closer. Currently, there is an Historic Pauper Metagame Challenge queue on Arena. Once you get past the first couple wins, you are likely to face almost exclusively Empty the Warrens decks. The reason they are so successful is that there is just not much printed at common to deal with storm spells like this. For me, an avid Pauper player, this centralization around a deck I can’t beat unless I play aggro and they brick, is ruining Historic Pauper. I should be one of the biggest contributors to the gems this mode rakes in, and I am done with it already. My worry is that will lead the Arena team to conclude that Pauper just isn't that popular and stop offering this, when I think low engagement for the mode is probably more attributable to Empty the Warrens than popularity. Deadly Dispute is also legal. Why? Lightning Bolt and Galvanic Blast are not legal. Why? Why deviate from the official ban list that Gavin and the Pauper Format Panel work so hard to curate? Please consider moving Historic Pauper closer to Pauper. Cards with no common printings on Arena but that have older common printings should be legal. Gal blast should be legal. Banned cards should be banned. Don't make us lose to storm decks over and over to demonstrate that we want Pauper support in Arena!
-
ioneos#96623
commented
+1. Pauper is my favorite MTG format. I think the primary disconnect is that the event *sounds* like a variant of Pauper adapted to fit Historic, when really it’s Historic shaved down to look like Pauper (hence Empty the Warrens legal, Lightning Bolt banned). I understand that implementing so many cards to reach parity with paper gameplay is a big ask (that I would love to see accomplished at some point!), but for now a much easier solution is to at least make the banlist as close to paper Pauper as possible.