Magic needs a format between beginner decks and invested play
I recently taught Magic to new players with Welcome Decks. They enjoyed the game, but afterward I struggled to answer: “What should we play next?”
I would like a small, non-rotating 60-card format using a whitelist of simple existing cards (perhaps 300–500). Cards like Duress or Opt teach fundamental Magic while remaining easy to understand.
The format should be deliberately cheap: normal versions of all legal cards should cost only a few dollars at most, with reprints if necessary.
Most importantly, please support it with regular store and Arena events, open to experienced players too. On Arena, the legal pool could even be free for everyone.
The goal is to bridge the gap:
Welcome Deck → cheap, understandable constructed Magic → other formats.
Magic teaches the first game well. I want new players to have somewhere to play the next hundred